New Delhi: The Tamil Nadu government has refused to take any help offered by the Centre in the probe into the two explosions in a train at Chennai Central railway station and it appears that the state is not treating it as a terror attack “as of now”.
The Centre had to abort its plans to send in forensic experts and investigators from NSG and NIA to Chennai in the wake of the blasts as the state government, whose chief minister J Jayalalithaa is strongly opposed to any interference from central agencies on the subject of law and order, refused to take any help from the Centre, saying its police was well equipped to handle the blasts’ probe.
In a terse reply to the Centre, the Tamil Nadu government merely gave few details of the incident that took place inside Bangalore-Guwahati Express train at the busy Chennai Central Railway station on Thursday.
The reply, which was sent in response to a request from the home ministry for a complete report on the incident, said the explosions took place at 07:05am in train number 12509 at platform number nine.
The two blasts took place in coach number S-4 and S-5 in which one woman died and 14 others were injured who were being treated at Rajiv Gandhi General Government Hospital.
The reply also said that a case had been registered by Tamil Nadu Police and the matter was handed over to CB-CID of the state. The case has been registered for murder, causing grievous injury, attempt to murder, theft after causing murder or injury, damage to railway property of IPC and three sections of Explosives Substance Act.