London: Queen Elizabeth II offered her condolences to the King of Spain in the wake of two deadly terror attacks that unfolded a day before, leaving 14 civilians and five suspects dead, as well as more than 100 injured.
Buckingham Palace, the official London residence of the Queen, shared her message on Friday in which she expressed condolences on behalf of herself and husband to King Felipe VI and Spanish citizens on the loss of lives in the attacks, Efe news reported.
“Prince Philip and I send our sincere condolences to Your Majesty, and the people of Spain, following the terrible terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils which killed and seriously injured many,” said the Queen.
She added that it was “deeply upsetting when innocent people are put at risk in this way when going about their daily lives”.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost loved ones and the people who are recovering in hospital,” the statement said.
The Britain’s Foreign Office said it was working to help British citizens affected by the attacks.
“We are currently assisting a small number of British people affected and are working to find out if any more need our help,” the office said in a statement, assuring that additional staff had been deployed to help authorities in Spain.
Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Mark Rowley said in a statement that British authorities were “liaising closely with the Spanish authorities and await further updates regarding the nationalities of the deceased and injured.”