Madrid: Garbiñe Muguruza of Spain slipped from second to third place in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) rankings, released on Monday, due to her withdrawal from the Brisbane International because of muscle cramps.
Romanian Simona Halep managed to stay atop the rankings after winning the Shenzhen Open title in China on Saturday, reports Efe.
Carolina Wozniacki of Denmark moved up one place to be ranked second, just 90 points ahead of Muguruza.
Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina climbed to fourth place after her win in Brisbane, replacing Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic, who fell to sixth.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
1. Simona Halep (Romania) 6,425 points
2. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 6,095
3. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 6,005
4. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 5,785
5. Venus Williams (US) 5,567
6. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 5,445
7. Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia) 4,901
8. Caroline Garcia (France) 4,385
9. Johanna Konta (Britain) 3,600
10. Coco Vandeweghe (US) 3,258.