New Delhi: Questioning the steps taken by the government to fight the increasing number of crimes against women, Nirbhaya’s mother on Thursday said it seemed to her that she might die fighting for her daughter but still won’t achieve justice.
“Our daughter died and we cried for justice but this is what we get. We have been stressed out from the past four days. We just want to ask the government as to what solution have they come up with. We think we will die fighting for justice and still not get justice,” the teary-eyed mother said in an exclusive interview with ANI.
“I don’t care if they ban the documentary or not but the one thing that this reflects is that there is not one Mukesh Singh but many in this country. Doesn’t the government realise that everyday so many rapes take place and they don’t do anything about it,” she added with tears in her eyes.
The bereaved mother once again reiterated her demand for death penalty for the culprits.
“Even if they ban the documentary in India, it will be shown elsewhere, whatever the case, I want the culprit to be hanged as soon as possible. Rest I don’t know what to say,” she added.
Meanwhile, Nirbhaya’s father said that banning the documentary was up to the government although the things said in it reflected the mentality of Indian men adding “It is a bitter truth that we have to swallow.”
“If the government has put a ban on it they must have thought about something. They must have something in mind and I am not bigger than my country, I am with them in this decision. I personally do not think there’s anything wrong in broadcasting it as it reflects the truth behind the increasing number of cases of women harassment,” he said.
He added that film had not only affected the dignity of the country but also the dignity of women.
“However, it will be an insult to the country, if a channel airs it despite ban. Also, the fact that someone got the permission to interview the convict within the walls of the Tihar jail raises a big question on our system. Not only has this film affected the dignity of the country, but also the dignity of women,” he added.
Earlier on Wednesday, Union Home Minister had told the Rajya Sabha that he will take all steps necessary to stop the telecast of the documentary made on the ‘Nirbhaya’ gang-rape case, assuring that the government will institute an inquiry for the same.
The documentary in question, titled ‘India’s Daughter’, includes an interview of Mukesh Singh, who is among the six men convicted of gang-raping a 23-year-old girl on December 16, 2012 on board a moving bus.