“Mahaparinirvan Diwas” is observed every year on 6th December to pay homage on the death anniversary of Bharat Ratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar. On the occasion a large number of followers of Bharat Ratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar travel to Mumbai and back from different parts of Maharashtra and adjoining states to pay homage.
Considering the quantum of traffic dealt on the occasion every year, Central Railway has issued instructions to all Divisions for making elaborate arrangements to clear the extra rush of passengers as well as to avoid any untoward incidents as under-
- To keep liaison with local organizers of the rallying groups to ensure smooth transportation of passengers from the concerned station.
- Publicity through newspapers and regular announcements at stations through public address system in Marathi & Hindi about running of special trains, attaching of additional general second class coaches and also display of special trains’ timetable on notice boards at conspicuous places at stations for the guidance of passengers.
- To open additional booking counters for issue of unreserved tickets at important stations concerned.
- To provide Assistance Booths at concerned important stations with adequate ticket checking staff and RPF/GRP to assist and guide the passengers who come to pay homage.
- To deploy Supervisors at the important stations to ensure adequate arrangement of drinking water, proper lighting, availability of food items at catering stalls and queue formation for purchasing of tickets etc.
- Provision of medical facility in emergency at important stations.
- To avoid any kind of untoward incidents, foolproof security arrangements at all stations including Dog Squad / CCTV cameras and Metal Detectors will be put in place.
Railway administration also appeals the passengers to cooperate with railway administration by keeping the trains and stations clean and travelling with proper tickets to avoid any inconvenience during their travel.