Washington: US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson confirmed that at least one American was killed in the terrorist attacks in Spain’s Catalonia region that left at least 14 people dead and more than 100 injured.
Tillerson on Friday said the US citizen died in Thursday afternoon’s van attack in Barcelona, where the driver plowed into dozens of pedestrians on that northeastern city’s Las Ramblas boulevard, Efe news reported.
He added authorities were still trying to determine whether there were other American victims.
A separate vehicle attack and stabbing occurred in the nearby seaside town of Cambrils early Friday, leaving one woman dead and several others wounded.
“We offer our condolences to the loss of life and the injuries that have occurred to so many innocent people yet again,” Tillerson said.
Meanwhile French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said that 28 French people were wounded in the terrorist attacks which happened in the Catalonia region of Spain on Thursday, of which eight are in serious condition, Xinhua news agency reported.
At a press conference in Barcelona, the Foreign Minister said four children were among the seriously injured, adding that no French was killed in the attacks.
The minister also said that a psychological assistance unit had been set up at the French consulate in Barcelona and specially trained personnel will respond to all requests for psychological help for the families of the victims.
Governments in different countries are releasing information on the fatal victims of the attacks, for which the Islamic State terror organization has claimed responsibility.